The Dodgers could be on the verge of something big — or they might not. It all depends on the direction that ownership and president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman decide to go in. Therein lies the fun of the upcoming winter. Moreover, the past indicates that they might not make that big move even with a large amount of money off the books this off-season.
Will the Dodgers land Anthony Rendon or Gerrit Cole? How about Francisco Lindor or Mookie Betts via trade? Only time will tell, but using recent history as a roadmap might be the best way to approach it as a fan.
According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, this is the way the roster looks as-is with no further moves made:
The Dodgers seem to be heading into 2020 with a youth movement at the catcher position. Will Smith should handle about 75% of the starts behind the plate with Barnes grabbing the other 25%. Keibert Ruiz could come into play later on in the 2020 season if he proves major league worthy in Triple-A.
Locks: Will Smith
Around the infield, the Dodgers look to head in with Max Muncy at first base, Gavin Lux at second base, Justin Turner at third base, and Corey Seager at shortstop. That’s solid. On the roster, they will also carry the versatility of Kiké Hernandez and Chris Taylor as well. Matt Beaty could factor in off the bench, too.
The Dodgers will most likely look at platooning Pollock and Pederson in left field with Bellinger in right field and Verdugo in center.
Possibilities: Kyle Garlick
The Dodgers have many options for their starting rotation and many options for the bullpen. There should be some spill over in either direction and this is not even including the Dodgers’ inevitable moves to address their needs in the staff.
With all this, expect the front office to make more of a splash this off-season.